Monday, February 11, 2008

Radness, Thy Name Is...Unreasonably Long

When I arrived at Franklin, a penniless waif with no one to turn to, I checked out all the clubs and events that I could in the hopes of finding and bonding with like-minded nincompoops such as myself, and that is how I ended up attending the Anime Club. As it turns out, that club has been a fertile pool of fellow geeks who I have recruited for Dungeons and Dragons, but the anime facet has been a lot of fun as well.

I don't consider myself a hardcore anime fan. I will watch shows that seem interesting, but in the same way I'd watch any other show that looked cool. However, I know that for a lot of people, anime means either violent adolescent fantasy and/or Titmonster Tentacle Rape. But I assure you that there are gems of sheer awesomeness to be found.

I swore that I would not gush about incredibly nerdy things on this blog. That I would not subject you, the innocent public, to the unlighted and unfathomable depths of my soul.

That said, Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann kicks SO MUCH ASS.


Go ahead. Read the title out loud. I'll go make a sandwich.

...

Okay, so, did y...oh. You're still reading it. Well, I guess I could make some lemonade or something...

Okay, so, unwieldy moniker or no, this show is pretty much everything that is great about Japanese animation, multiplied by a factor of awesome.

I won't get into the plot, because it barely matters. This is a show that features giant robots, a chick in a bikini shooting an electric rail gun AT giant robots, giant robots fighting OTHER giant robots, a post-apocalyptic society of subterranean humans, a stampede of giant moles, and katana battles. AND THAT'S JUST THE FIRST EPISODE.

Did I mention the giant robots are literally powered by manliness?

"Go beyond the possible! Kick reason to the curb!"

No comments: